St. Margaret of Cortona Church
On January 24, 1920, the building committee met to ask for the appointment of a Pastor for a new parish in Fairfax. Rev. Harry Ansbury was chosen to organize the new parish. Mr. Mike Roche built the first church of stucco
at Watterson and Murray Streets. The parish took the name St. Margaret, and Sister Josephine of Brown County suggested that St. Margaret of Cortona be adopted as patron saint - a fine example of perseverance and penance. The church was dedicated by Rev. Archbishop Henry Moeller on Sunday, September 11, 1921.
In 1922, a frame school building with four classrooms was built by the men of the parish at Watterson Street under thesupervision of Mr. Joe Meyers, with all of the labor supplied free. The first framed temporary school was opened in September 1922. In 1927, a four-room brick school - the beginning of our present church/school building was opened.
In 1950, Rev. Basil Hanebergy opened the new church located in the currect church/school building, celebrating the first Mass on Christmas Day.
St. Margaret of Cortona School merged with Cure of Ars School in August 2002 and became known as Prince of Peace School, which was housed in the St. Margaret School building. Prince of Peace school closed after the 2012-13 school year.
St. John Vianney Church
On August 21, 1949, the building program was announced for the purchase of fourteen and a half acres at Berwick and Windward Streets in Madison Place. Archbishop Karl Alter approved the building of the Parish Center that included a church, a convent, a school, and a rectory.
In the fall of 1949, Msgr. Hoban solicited the help of the seminarians to clear the land - Fr. Paul Edrich (a later pastor of St. John Vianney) was among those seminarians. On February 26, 1950, Mass was said in the church for the first time. The formal blessing of the church by Msgr Clarence Issenmann took place on April 23, 1950. On March 30, 1952, groundbreaking for the school took place.
On the Feast of St. John Vianney - August 4, 1953, the new school was blessed and it was announced that the school would be named "Cure of Ars," since St. John Vianney was known as the priest of the village of Ars in France. Cure of Ars school merge with St. Margaret of Cortona School in August 2002 and became known as Prince of Peace School. The fiftieth anniversary of St. John Vianney Parish was celebrated in August of 2000 with Pastor Father Paul Edrich as celebrant. Many of the founding members were in attendance.
On September 14, 2008, due to dwindling attendance, St. John Vianney Parish and St. Margaret of Cortona Parish officially merged into St. Margaret-St. John Parish. Mass continuted to be celebrated in both parishes.
St. John Vianney Church celebrated the last Mass on June 1, 2014 at 9:00. Many current and past parishioners were in attendance.